Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Looks or Confidence?

The scene: Downtown (of DT as it is affectionately called) Roanoke on a Saturday night.

The situation: We are on the hunt to see what is more important in the eyes of the opposite sex, looks or confidence.

Before I answer that question above, I have to give a rundown on the previous antics that led up to the asking of the golden question.  We first started our night at the famed Cornerstone Bar (where we, as Salem Red Sox employees, enjoy a discount on our drinking.  Except for Saturday night, where a assumed new bartender didn’t know the deal ($2 beers, $4 shots) even after we told her.  Let’s just say that my bill was larger then I thought it was going to be) and watched the delightful men’s college basketball game between the UCLA Bruins and the Washington Huskies (I use delightful as a joke because I think Washington doubled up UCLA) while enjoying a few adult beverages. 

After a few brews and shots; and after the cupid shuffle (which is the favorite song of every one in Roanoke apparently.  It’s the only song that gets everyone on the dance floor no matter what and yes, Roanoke is two years behind in it’s music selection.  Except for Lady GaGa, they play plenty of her) Steven (sales guy and roommate at Massanutten) decide to venture off to see what other attractions we can find downtown.  Now, I’ve gone out a few times in my time here and I’ve only been to Cornerstone and a bar/restaurant/cougar central called Metro so I jumped at the chance to go somewhere new. We ended up at some bar that I don’t know the name of but had the word BBQ in it in some fashion.  This was my type of bar because I was drinking a tallboy Pabst and listening to a live band playing fast Bob Dylan covers and other bluegrass/Brian Setzer type music which was a lot of fun to listen to. 

After we finished our beers we decided to go to Club 202, which is Roanoke’s dance club.  Now, unbeknown to me, Roanoke is trying to be a very classy place.  Upon arriving at 202 I was told that I cannot enter because I was wearing a hoody (which really was a glorified long sleeved t-shirt that had a hood) and a hat.  After being denied entrance at 202 we moved onto a bar called Corned Beef which also had a dress code (making me remove my t-shirt with a hood and stuffing it into my pocket).  Corned Beef was an interesting bar that had a dance floor on its top floor so Steve and I made our way up to that area to check it out.  After a few minutes the rest of our crew showed up after finally leaving Cornerstone and joined us on the dance floor.  Fellow intern Peter lasted all of two minutes before feeling disgusted by the surrounding people and the atmosphere before saying that he’s out of there and he was gone quicker then Urban Meyer stayed retired.  Couldn’t really blame him though.  The crowd was very suspect and what do you expect at a low rate “club” at midnight on a Saturday.

So how does this have to do with the question of looks or confidence?  Well, Andrew (marketing/ graphics guy) told us that if we were to leave Corned Beef that he would make a move on a chick that we all wanted him to make a move on earlier and, as the story goes, could have made a move on as late as last year.  So, obviously we all wanted to see this happen and happily obliged to leave Corned Beef to return to Cornerstone in hopes to see magic happen.  Only it never did.  On our way to the Waffle House (obviously) we found out the reason why.  Andrew confessed to having no confidence when it came to girls.  That lead us to a drunken rant about how girls like confidence and even if you don’t have it you have to pretend to have it (a la Andy from 40 Year Old Virgin).

We were all sitting in our booth as the waitress came upon our conversation and was about to be a key player in the hot topic of the night.  Kyle (fellow intern) asked the innocent question of “What do girls like more, looks or confidence?”  Our waitress paused for a bit and had this as a response, “Well, I’m not really in to guys.” Yeah.  That just happened.  After she said that I quickly returned to my menu and gave out a “uhhhh, I’ll have…” as quickly as I could to deflect the awkwardness that was just created. 

Long story short, we never found out the answer to our question and created an embarrassing situation in the process.  Plus we were drunk in a Waffle House at 2:30 in the morning dropping f-bombs like sailors causing a guy behind me in the pay line to say “no class at the waffle house tonight”.  Sorry buddy, no need to act like you are a saint in front of your girlfriend. 

All in all it was a good night.  As good of one that you can have in the city of Roanoke. Thee end

No comments: