Friday, November 20, 2009

My list of lasts...

My time in the great state of Minnesota is coming to an end (for now anyway). The last few weeks I have been actively looking for an internship with a minor league baseball team. I didn't really care where I would end up. I sent emails to about 20 teams and hoped that I would have a place somewhere to start. That somewhere is now the little town nestled close to the Blue Ridge Mountains called Salem, Virginia. This town of 25,000 (Minneapolis has over 400,000) is about 10 minutes outside of Roanoke and is home to the Salem Red Sox. It has been quite the whirlwind week. I nailed a few phone interviews. Sent out some thank you emails and in about a week I went from being unsure of what I was going to do after this semester to planning a move that will take me 20 total hours of driving (quick stop in Nashville to visit someone. I think his name is Abram or something...). It has been crazy to say the least. (on a side note: the fact that I will be paid and that housing is taken care of is probably the best news I have ever received in my life. Other then the news that baby Lucy was available, this has to rank right up there.) (side: side note: What am I? A parent? Lucy is just a dog...right. She is losing her baby teeth by the way. They grow up so fast)

Anyway, the internship starts January 11th and the tentative move-in date is the 8th. There isn't much of a plan yet because I only know that I have the internship but I'm thinking that I will leave sometime after New Years and head to Nashville to visit before mentioned half-Jew and Joe Mauer enthusiast, Samuel Leof and his budding "family" before finally making my way through Blacksburg, VA (home of VA Tech) finishing in Salem. It's going to be quite the change but I am ready for it. More to tell as they become more clear but for now I'm practicing my southern accent in preparation...

Since my time is limited and I don't know how many times I will be back in the Minni Apple, I want to compile a "list of lasts". Example: Last piece of Mesa pizza or last time drinking a summit at Mannings. You know, the important stuff. Here is what I have come up with so far and if you have any other suggestions, please pass them along my way. I'm pretty open to most suggestions. Even perhaps: First and last time visiting the Vu. Not saying that I will, not saying I won't.

Eat at Al's Breakfast: I've heard good things but never been. I should go.

Have a Long Island Iced Tea from Barney's: Historically sugary and will rot your stomach the next day. Historically they also get you drunk.

Check out Target Field: Not sure if I will be able to go to the home opener next year at the field that I have been waiting for as a Twins fan. A big bummer if you think about it but that is why I need to get over there before hand.

Bar hop on Cedar and NE: Again, never been. I should go.

Get an ice cream cone from Sebastian Joe's: I know it will be the winter and I'm not sure if it's open right not but it's damn good.

Walk around Lake Calhoun: It will be cold but Lucy probably will enjoy it. Gotta make the pup happy.

Ride a Campus Connector: Preferably, one driven by Jazz Man. You just have to be a student here to get that one.

Walk down frat row: For old time's sake. I may steal a brick or two. Haven't decided yet.

Have a piece of Steak and Fries pizza from Mesa: Best pizza ever. Not sure if I will find that in Salem.

Go to MOA and stay there all day: It's the Mall of America. It's huge. Plus at the Best Buy there you can play the drums. Real drums. Where else can you ride a roller coaster, have a dance party in abercrombie, play the drums and have the choice to either eat a Big Mac or stare at some hooters while eating wings. Can't beat it.

Well, that is all I have for now. I'm sure I've missed something but like I said, send ideas my way if you have any. It has been a pleasure to all I have met in my time in Minneapolis but it's not over yet. Catch ya on the phlip side.

No comments: