Sunday, November 29, 2009

Nike: Just Did It

Nike has been at the forefront of innovation for years now starting with the Jordan shoe back in the early 80's and continuing today with the new Pro Combat football jersey's worn by 10 college football teams. Apparently, the jersey is suppose to be lighter and more agreeing to football type moves but it's really an excuse for Nike to push the envelope with jersey design. Most of the jersey combos look really cool actually as I think Nike got it right this time. Instead of every team looking alike, Nike decided to customize each jersey to fit the respected school. Let's take a look...

Florida Gators: This is my favorite Pro Combat jersey. It's very simple and I like the white helmet to go along with the all blue jersey.

Miami Hurricanes: This jersey is a close 2nd to the Gators jersey. The feature that I like most about this jersey is the white stripe the separates the two colors in the numbers. Really cool idea and very U'ish.

Florida State: Rounding out the Sunshine state, Florida State debuted their Pro Combat jersey's last week and they looked very sharp. The Black helmets were a surprise as we are used to seeing the gold and the all maroon jersey really finished off the bad ass look.

Texas: Not much to say here, they added numbers above the longhorn. Big whoop.

TCU: Staying in Texas, Nike decided to spend all of their time overhauling this jersey as compared to UT's jersey. Frog scales on the helmet and also a red streak down the center to signify the blood that squirts out of a horned frogs eyes if it feels cornered or threatened. Nike does it again.

Virginia Tech: VT has always been along for the Nike ride and this time it was no different. They used the same two-color effect for the numbers only instead of the colors being separated, the maroon and orange fuse together. Nice touch and again, something that hasn't been done before.

Oklahoma: Not many changes a la Texas. Sooner Magic is written in a few places, whatever that means. Not a fan of the blank helmet.

Missouri: The surprise team to me because I didn't even know that they were a big Nike school. Nonetheless Nike has gone and revamped to the max. I'm not a fan of the black on grey on the helmet and they also phased out too much gold for my liking. Still a cool jersey though.

Ohio State: Big changes for Brutus as the Buckeyes jersey gets a retro overhaul. They don't look like Ohio State jersey's and that is probably because the helmet is white. I like the silver.

LSU: This leaves me with the only Pro Combat jersey that I did not like. LSU is known for their purple and yellow colors. They aren't purple and vegas gold. When I turned on the game today I thought I was watching Tulsa play and I wasn't the only one that thought that. Bring back the yellow.

Eat your heart out Paul Lukas.

No comments: