Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Bowen signed to be lockdown defender for ESPN’s Men’s Basketball League team

Former San Antonio Spurs forward Bruce Bowen was signed off waivers today by ESPN’s senior men’s basketball team, the Bristol Warriors in an" “attempt to strengthen their defense,” said Warriors General Manager Dr. Jack Ramsey.  Bowen joins a roster full of former NBA players as their starting lineup consists of Avery Johnson, Jalen Rose and Tim Legler. 

“Bruce will fit very nicely into what we are trying to do here.  With his signing, I would say that we are the team to beat,” Bill Walton, the Warriors head coach, said in a press conference to announce the signing.  “We were a good team last year but Bruce will add youth, energy and a tenacious defensive attitude.  Something I feel we were lacking last year.”

Other teams in the league were not as pleased that Bowen was claimed.  We asked a member of Huskies' Nation what his thoughts were on the signing and he wished to be anonymous in fear of getting dunked on. “It’s really not fair.  I mean, a lot of them played in the NBA at one point of their lives and I just played some high school ball. The league was fun for all of the teams a few years ago but then ESPN decided to make a team with all of the NBA players that they have on their shows.”

It was three years ago that ESPN entered the Bristol Men’s Basketball League and they have still yet to lose a game.  “We don’t want to say dynasty quite yet, but I believe that we are on our way there,” Dr. Jack Ramsey said.  “We need to keep playing hard and playing our game to be spoken in the same breath as the NBA TV/TNT squad.”  The squad that Ramsey referred to is the famed Hot-Lanta Showmen.  A team that consists of Kenny Smith, Reggie Miller, Chris Webber, Eric Snow and coached by Charles Barkley.

“I’m excited to be a part of the winning tradition that the Warriors have,” Bowen said. “I hope to contribute right away and help out the team in anyway I can.  I’ll to the late Sportscenter if they need me to.  Or the morning one.  Which ever.  I’m pretty flexible.”

The addition of Bowen will very likely ensure another title for the Warriors and fans everywhere will debate which team is really better: The Hot-Lanta Showmen or the Bristol Warriors.  I say, let the debate begin.

No comments: