Sunday, April 25, 2010

Update Time…

Ok so you know how I said that I was back and that I would be posting more often?  Well, that was kind of a lie.  Sorry.  I had no idea how busy I’d be working (those 10am-11pm days catch up to ya) and there’s no way I can write at work and stay employed so instead I’ll have to settle for Saturday nights at midnight to write.

So, where to begin? Our team (Salem Red Sox) are sitting pretty in first place.  These guys can really rake and it’s been a lot of fun to watch them play the last seven games that they played at home.  Ryan Lavarnway, Oscar Tejeda and Anthony Rizzo are the real deal so remember those names.  My responsibilities during games consist of walking around and making sure peeps are happy and talking into a walkie talkie which is interesting at times (I have been told that I abuse my privileges because I like to page people that are right in front of me.  Someone needs to spice it up when there is only 1,300 people in the stands and I felt the need to step up) Other then that I take care of birthday parties (which I tend to dislike so far) and I update the FB page (be a fan of the Salem Red Sox! Do it now!)  That’s about it as far as work goes.  So far I really enjoy working during games because I get to wander around and snap photos.  All in a days work…

The one thing that I do not like about working in baseball is that I do not get to fully enjoy my favorite team in any sport.  I guess that’s what happens when your favorite team is a baseball team and you work in baseball: but how bout them Twinks?  They opened up Target field with a bang (and what a beautiful park btw.  I’ll make an apperance this year if its the last thing I do)  Joey Baseball is picking up right where he left off last year and Justin Morneau and Michael Cuddyer are actually hitting in the month of April which is a nice surprise.  I can’t remember an April where the Twins have played so well.  It’s pretty easy to say that I’m very excited to see how this whole season plays out.  But please Twins fans, it’s too early to chant MVP for Joey.  Sorry.

I also promised a mock draft in the same light as last years, but as I stated above I had zero time to actually sit down and do one.  Which I am kinda bummed out about because I had fun mocking last years mock draft process.  Oh well, there’s always next year right?  This years draft was like any other: there was some shocking picks (Tebow, Tim to Denver at #25) and then some not so shocking picks (Bradford, Sam to St. Louis at #1)  Most of the first round is a crap shoot anyway so we won’t know for years who really messed up and who really made good picks.  Everyone thought that Houston made a mistake by not drafting Reggie Bush and/or Vince Young but I’d say that Mario Williams has worked out pretty well for them so far.  I like the Vikings pick of Toby Gerhart.  They may not have had to trade up to get him but oh well, when you want someone in the NFL draft you trade up to get him instead of sitting about and waiting for him to fall to you.  Touchdown Toby will take some of the pressure off of AP that Chester Taylor used to do (and hopefully not fumble as much as AP), as for the rest of the Vikings draft?  Whatever,  I don’t really know of any of the guys they picked (apparently Emerson Griffin doesn’t like to try hard but what can you expect from a USC product) The Vikes were one throw away (or four fewer fumbles) away from the Super Bowl last year so there wasn’t much to improve on through the draft.

Other then that I really got nothing much for ya.  Virginia is still Virginia.  Salem is still Salem.  Roanoke still doesn’t have any cute girls.  And the Waffle House is still the place of choice after the bars.  Lucy is still crazy and I still don’t get enough sleep.  Having a roommate is nice because I can actually talk to someone and have them talk back to me (sometimes anyway).  Hopefully I can get on here a bit more and keep talking about how great we are as a baseball team (I can say “we” since I work for the team.  I’ll try to decipher which “we” I’m talking about since I also say “we” when I talk about the Twins)  Remember: Lavarnway, Tejeda and Rizzo.  One or two of them will be either traded or moved up to Portland in the coming months so keep an eye out.  Peace out homies. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No cute girls in Roanoke... ouch =/