Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Coming clean

There is something I want to get off my chest. I was wrong about something, more specifically someone, and I want to come clean.

I'm sorry Donte' Stallworth.

I'm sorry that I got caught up in the hype. I'm sorry that I thought you were just another black football player that didn't give a shit about anyone but themselves. I'm mostly sorry for writing this. I didn't know the facts...

If anyone watched E:60 last night you know what I'm talking about. If you didn't, watch this before proceeding...

Now that you are caught up to speed, I want to say that in no way am I condoning the acts of Donte' Stallworth. I don't feel bad for him because in the end he still took a human's life but I feel for him.

Before I saw the interview, I had no sympathy for Stallworth and thought that the 24 day sentence that he received was ridiculous. 24 days in jail does not equal taking a life. But what if that life he took put himself in that situation? Is Stallworth still at fault?

E:60 showed me a side that I had never thought of before, Stallworth's side. Yeah he had taken a few shots just that night, but it was almost 6 hours previous to the incident, plenty of time to sober up. At least sober enough to operate a vehicle. Yet, the breathalyzer said otherwise and Stallworth registered a .12 which was .4 over the legal limit. Stallworth then cooperated fully with the police and actually made the 911 call just moments after hitting the victim (who, by VIDEO EVIDENCE, ran infront of Stallworth's car giving him little reaction time). They played that phone call on E:60 and it was chilling. You could tell how distraught Stallworth was and the pain that he felt as he realized that the man he hit was no longer breathing.

The next step in the saga is to decide how long Stallworth should be punished by Roger Goodell and the NFL. Leonard Little went through the same thing that Stallworth just did (only I can almost guarantee that Little did not have the same reactions that Stallworth did) and got an 8 game suspension. Stallworth should get the same. He must be punished, but he has been a model citizen since the incident and I think he has truly learned from this experience and he is very sorry for what happened. Now, don't make me write another post about how I was sorry about writing this one Donte'...

No comments: