Monday, January 04, 2010

ATOTW: Athlete Tweet of the Week

I have a new obsession and it doesn't involve filling any holes of any kind. Many people use twitter for a variety of reasons and I recently discovered it's true purpose on the world wide web: athletes tweeting.

I can't get enough of it. To really drive home this point I will use this analogy: Lucy does this thing with stuffed animals where she wont tear the thing apart but instead she will only open it enough to get her snout inside and pull out the stuffing. She then spits the stuffing out and goes back in for more. She only stops when the animal gets too wet or something else sparks her interest. This is how I feel about twitter. I check it constantly now that I have a blackberry and it is the most unintentional funny concept/ thing (?) that I have yet to come across.

Basically what twitter allows athletes to do is to bypass the media all together and post whatever the hell they are doing at whatever the hell time they are doing it at. It lets them feed their ego's at all times by having more followers then someone else and they are under the illusion that people actually care about what they have to "say" and what they are "doing".

This obsession has led me to a new weekly update idea that will be fun for me and you. It will eventually have an ASB (Another Sports Blog) witty type name but for now it is called Athlete Tweet of the Week and I have a great one for all of you for this past week (Sunday 10/27 - Sunday 1/3). It comes from Chris Johnson and it was after he was the 6th rusher ever to surpass the 2,000 yard mark for rushing yards in a season. (These are not doctored in any way, shape, or form. 100% athlete quotes directly from their official twitter page)

"Cj2k party at barfly tonight ill be their at 12"

No comments: