Thursday, January 28, 2010

Shirley = Pariah? Hardly

Their has been a lot of up roar in response to one of my favorite writers recent blog post on Haiti. Most people view him as a heartless bastard that should be locked away. He has just recently lost his job as a contributer to ESPN.com and probably will never be viewed in a likable way in the public eye. But why? Because he said what he felt? Because he didn't agree with everyone else's unquestioned support for a country most know nothing about? (if you haven't read the post, which I hadn't until 10 minutes ago, here is the link for it. It's worth the read.)

I follow him in the minority when it comes to this issue. Did I donate to Haiti? No. Will I donate to Haiti? No, I won't. Does this make me a bad person? Not even close. I agree with Paul on most of his statements that he makes. Shirley compared this to donating to a homeless man on the street and how most of the time, the money doesn't go to a good cause. Where is all of this money going that everyone is donating to? Does anyone know? But yet millions upon millions donate (rightfully so) with no idea who it goes to or what good it is doing.

In a nation founded by free speech, one writer lost his job because of his views on a country that no one talked about until tragedy struck. It's sad really and I wish him the best.

UPDATE: Paul has written a reaction to all of the media scrutiny. You can read it here.

No comments: