Thursday, March 19, 2009

The love we lost

It has been a very long time since I have dusted this thing off and I've decided that this year's NCAA tournament would be a good time to write again. Eventually I will become disciplined and write, or not we'll see.

A lot has happened since the last time I posted. The Arizona Cardinals were in the super bowl. The Tampa Bay Rays (minus the devil) had a winning season. Oh and they also made the world series, not sure if you knew that. The New England Patriots blew a perfect season in the super bowl to finish 18-1 and my Gophers continue to break my heart.

I really want to talk about the Gophers as they have two teams in action today. The Tubby's have had an interesting season thus far. First they race out to a 18-1 record, beating #1 overall seed Louisville on a neutral court, beating Wisconsin on the road (something that the Gophers have not done in 14 years)and being ranked as high as 18th in the country. Now, I am a realist when it comes to my teams. I love my teams but I'm not a homer. The Gophers are not a top 20 team and they never were. They are still a very young team and they do not have the go to scorer that you need in college basketball. For those of you that think Lawrence Westbrook is that guy, just remember he hates Wisconsin and so he tries extra hard vs them. I dont know why but trust me. After baiting all of Gopher nation that this team was something that it wasn't, they proceed to drop 10 of the last 14 games, losing to the likes of Northwestern and Penn State (both on the road) and the last game of the year when they blew a 12 pt 2nd half lead to Michigan to put them on the bubble. This version of the team would not score at all and looked lost for much of the stretch. It was strange because this isn't how a Tubby team plays. It is anyone's guess which gopher team will show up for the first round game. Will it be the 1st half team of Devoe training open 3's in transition? Will Bostick step up and hit 3's as well? Will Hoff get out of his funk he has been in all year and take us to the sweet 16 (something I said in January)? Or will the team of the 2nd half show up? Will Al Nolan forget how to play basketball and the point guard position again? Will Lawrence stop thinking he is the best player on the team? (btw everyone knows that the best player is Damian Johnson, i mean seriously. I used Damnianized in every day talk when someone or something gets rejected or defended, it's true) This issss our first tournament game since I have gone to school here, I'm a senior now. Yeah it's been that bad.

All of that said, I like the Gophers for the opening round upset of Texas. Lots of reasons why too. First off, Texas is not good. No DJ Augustin and Kevin Durant will do that to your program. AJ Abrams? Are you kidding me? Tubby will find a way to trap him and not let him get off his shot. What the Gophers do lack in playmaking ability they make up for in Tubbyness. The guy is a legend coach and does a lot of things right. He is very fun to watch and his stare even gives me shivers. Orlando, as I like to call him sometimes, has won 13 straight opening round games I believe and I don't see that ending today. The Gophers can open it up and spread the floor and they can also bang down low with our version of the twin towers. I think Tubby will have everything rolling for one game and we win our first tourny game in a long time, and then they can lose to Duke. That is a win for me, just give me one win in the tournament Tubby. Please.

Now Let's. Talk. Hockey!
My oh my what a year for the University of Minnesota Golden Gopher Men's hockey team. Another team of two seasons. First half of the year they were the best team in hockey, ranked #1 and looking like one of the best teams that this program has had. Kangas was flopping all over the place making save after save after save and the offense looked very explosive. Our freshman were brilliant with freshman of the year Jordan Schroeder leading the way setting up seemingly every goal. Stoa was banging in front and Hoeffel was scoring short handed all the time. It was great...and then it happened. Our D got sloppy and Kangas started letting goals in. It got worse and worse and our offense suffered and then our team suffered. They had such a bad 2nd half that they are in danger of missing the NCAA tournament. What, you say? The State of Hockey's own Golden Gophers missing the NCAA tournament? Yeah, it could happen if they don't win tonight, and then win tomorrow night vs that team in North Dakota. I think that is what is needed. We are on the bubble. Again I have to believe in the Don and his guys. They played awesome last weekend vs St. Cloud when they HAD to sweep those games. I think they keep it rolling and do some serious damage in the NCAA tournament. Remember this team was ranked #1 for a long time at the beginning of the year. Kangas is back and ready. We will go only as far as he can take us and he knows that. Go Gophers, eat bulldog babies.

This post just got Damnianized!

No comments: