Tuesday, June 30, 2009

3 nights, 2 games, 1 great time

Where to begin? Well first off I will tell y’all that I was in the Show-Me State for this past weekend plus following the greatest team known to man, the Twins of course, who else?

It all began a few months ago when my mother asked me the innocent question of, “Would you like to go to the Twins game in St. Louis?” She really didn’t have to even finish her question before I said yes. For anyone that knows me, this decision what not a hard one to come by. She then added that they played in Kansas City the next night to play the hapless Royals. Originally the plan was for me and her to go on this trip but I’m guessing my brother would have something to say about this so mother also invited him to go. Needless to say, I have been looking forward to this weekend for months and it quickly approached.

We left my mothers house at 8 o’clock central time (for those keeping score) and were off to our first destination of St. Louis, Missouri. The drive down was quicker then I expected. We made a few pit stops to stretch and change drivers a few times (mother shot down my idea of a Chinese fire drill at a stop light) and also to check in with gram and gramps down in the little farming down of Dysart, Iowa. I was informed that this is now a tourist attraction because of the small boutique type shops in “downtown” and that bus loads of Iowans come in to buy things. Whatever floats their respected boats I guess.

After filling up on scrambled eggs and sausage we were again heading towards the gateway to the west. The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful. A few buildings here and there but mostly Missouri is pretty plain, oh and hilly as mother mentioned 24534592 times during the trip. One thing that I do want to say is: the play by play duo for the St. Louis Cardinals is the worst I have ever heard. I’m not one to bash other teams play by play guys because I know the Twins guy’s aren’t the best but we love them anyway and that is probably how St. Louis feels about theirs. But c’mon. If you are ever in the mood to listen to a baseball game and want to throw something at the radio listen to a Cardinals game on the radio. Usually for radio calls, one guy will call the game until the 4th inning then hand it over to his counterpart for the 4th-6th innings or so and then finish the rest of the game. Well the first guy for the Cards wasn’t all that bad but it was his partner that I wanted to strangle.

This guy (I don’t care to look up his name) had no idea what a microphone was. We were first introduced to him somewhere along the 3rd inning as out of no where some grumbling occurred in the background. My brother looked at me and had the expression on his face that questioned where this voice came from since he had not spoken all game. When he took over after the 4th inning it was a back and forth struggle with my sanity.

First, he couldn’t figure out where the microphone is, at least I think that is what the problem was. We had to turn up the volume for most of the game because he wasn’t speaking into it and then all of a sudden he would find the mic and would blow our ear drums out causing us to turn down the volume. This would keep repeating until the game was over. It was the most outrageous thing I have ever heard on the radio. I’m sure the producers for the Cards are very fed up with it as well but probably not as this has to be a regular occurrence. Secondly, he was the most unenthused announcer in the history of announcers. It was like he was announcing a surgical procedure and could not wake the patient. Half of the time he was very behind in his calls as you could hear the crack of the ball making a connection with a wooden bat and this guy would continue to be talking about something else until the play had ended.

I wish I could say that this is the end of my complaints with the radio broadcast but sadly, it is not. The station that hosted the mockery that is a play by play crew would always go to commercial break to early. I counted at least 4 times when the station cut to commercial while the play by play announcer was still talking and thus causing my mother to be confused. At one time she thought that we were picking up two stations at once, that is how bad it was.

Enough about those fools and onto the city that I found to be quite boring actually. Other then the Arch and the Cardinals, St. Louis has nothing of real value. Sure they have the Rams and the Blues and a few BBQ restaurants here and there and the St. Lunatics hail from said city, but other then that, St. Louis doesn’t have much to offer in my opinion. It does have one thing going of it…it is hot as shit in the summer. I mean wow ( I have some good pictures of what the sun can do to you in Missouri that will be reserved for the :in pictures portion of the trip).

We got into St. Louis on Saturday night and did some sight seeing (more like walking towards the arch and looking at all of their court systems that they have downtown) and eventually went to eat at a place called Maggie O’Brien’s that boasts the best BBQ in the STL area. The food was good but not great and after we retired to our hotel room and put on the swimming suits to hop into the pool to wash the gallon of sweat and saltiness that had gathered on us from walking around (we broke the wait 30 minutes after you eat to go swimming rule. I come from a family of badasses)

Since we had a 9:50 date with the top of the St. Louis Arch the next morning (and the fact that we had been in a car all day and in the sun all evening) we went to bed relatively early for my standards (10:30 or so), I went to bed happy as I had a monster day in fantasy baseball (thank you Andre Ethier).

The arch is, as I put it, “very pointless but also very cool”. To get to the top you have to take a little tram type thing that looks like what people in the 60’s thought would pass for futuristic. You were bunched into a small sphere of death if it were ever to malfunction with 4 other people and it took about 2 minutes to get to the top of the arch. Once at the top there were lookout holes that you could see for miles out of. It was a bit overwhelming at times for me because as I leaned out over one of the peep holes I kept imagining the arch breaking at the bottom and me falling to my death (so positive I am). Some facts about the arch: the top is 630 feet off of the ground, it was made in 1965 and it attracts two million visitors per year, like I said pointless but cool.

After the arch we started to walk over to the new Busch Stadium. I was quite impressed with the stadium that will be hosting this year’s all-star game, although it is not hard for me to be impressed with major league stadiums considering the stadium I call home is covered in Teflon and artificial grass. The game time temperature was a staggering 91 degrees in the mid afternoon and I took it as an opportunity to take my shirt off and enjoy baseball how it was meant to be played, outdoors. My decision to go shirtless would haunt me later as I think my skin is the same color as the Cardinals primary color. Justin Morneau started off the game with a bang, hitting his first home run in 63 at bats and causing the many Twins fans to cheer. I even got a Twinkie out of the deal as Twins fans above us started throwing them out after the home run.

The rest of the game was like all other baseball games, a few hits here, a few strikeouts there with runs scored in between. In the end the good guys got the much needed road win and I left a happy guy (besides the current state of the skin on my stomach and shoulders). After the game we took off to Kansas City to see game two of the Twins road trip.

Kansas City is a modest city in Missouri but its far better then St. Louis in my mind. In St. Louis I kept mentioning that it was devoid of night life as far as I could tell. Kansas City is a different story. After checking out the WWI memorial (closed on Mondays and we were in KC on a Monday) and the Crown Plaza (basically a small town of shops and restaurants) we headed to Arther Byrant’s famed BBQ eatery. It is definitely famous for a reason as it features some of the best burnt ends I have ever eaten (to be fair I don’t think I’ve ever eaten burnt ends but they were good). After stuffing our faces we tried to go to The College Basketball Experience in downtown KC (closed on Monday’s, seriously if you go on a trip somewhere, don’t sight see on a Monday) and eventually headed back to the hotel for me to nap because I was getting crabby and was tired of walking around everywhere.

We got to “The New K” as they now call it as Kauffman Stadium underwent a major renovation this past off-season a few hours before game time to get a feel for the place. And I have to say, it is the best stadium of any kind I have witnessed a game in so far in my life. The most impressive feature of the New K was its awesome video board. It's huge and in HD so everything looks so clear and vivid. Plus they showed replays on it (you hear that metrodome, its a novel concept that you should look in to). They call Busch Field "Baseball Heaven", obviously whoever coined that nickname has not been to the New K.

As for the game, it was pretty uneventful. The Twins left their bats in St. Louis it seemed and were 1 hit most of the game until Justin Morneau's bomb in the 7th or 8th inning. They ended up losing 4-2 in what felt like a semi home game. It was surreal how many Twins fans made the trip to both St. Louis and Kansas City. I'm proud to be a Twins fan after seeing all of the others.

All in all it was an amazing trip and I will never forget it...now to the awards for the weekend.

Best BBQ Award

Aurther Bryant's - Kansas City

Best Sign by a Twins fan

"Lets get Denarded in here" - St. Louis. Very clever

Coolest tourist stop

St. Louis Arch

Most overused phrase

"It's really hilly in Missouri, I didn't know that" - Mother

Best thing since slided bread

Solercaine. Greatest thing ever

Twin of the trip

Jose Mijares for his outfield antics during BP in Kansas City. I would love to be a relief pitcher

Best way to pass time

Can I Keep My Jersey by Paul Shirley. What a great book. I cruised through roughly 280 pages on the drive and finished it. I recommend

No comments: