Thursday, April 30, 2009

Love/Hate or is it Hate/Love?

If you know me, you know that I love these guys. Which means I hate these guys. I hate the White Sox with every last cell even my body. My skin cells are White Sox haters. I hate the White Sox so much that I would rather have the Twins go to the World Series and lose then ever see the White Sox win a World Series.

But something happened to me recently. Something so unimaginable that even I can't believe it happened. I was watching some sportscenter (I know right? I think I was channel surfing or something) and I saw the highlight of White Sock outfielder Carlos Quentin hitting a home run and running into the dugout. Then Paul Konerko hit a bomb. I said to myself,

"That's what makes them good."

Wait. What did I just say?

"That's what makes them good?"

This is a team that I despise. I hate you White Sox. I hate you. But the subconscious thought got me thinking. And I admit, I respect the White Sox. I don't like their hitting strategy as a team but I respect that they hit bombs, and how can you not really. I hated Aaron Rowand until he stopped a fence with his face. I hated him only because he was a White Sox and tried really hard. Well that and his dumb bleached fu manchu. But I like that he plays the game hard. Hell, I am even a huge supporter of Ozzie. Yeah, it's true. If Gardy wasn't on the pine for the Twins, I would want Ozzie Guillen as the Twins manager.

Looking deeper into this issue, Ozzie is the guy that should get all of the credit in my respecting the hated. He was the one that gave the Twins credit in the way they play baseball. Sure they don't hit any home runs but just last year they were 4th in the majors in runs scored. Ozzie praised how Nick Punto and Jason Bartlett were tough outs and how they had an all out way of playing the game. Ozzie liked it so much that he called them the Piranha's (I hate this nick name by the way. Who wants to be a piranha? Not I).

To truly say you hate something something (in the sport sense) you have to have respect tied to that hatred. If the Twins beat up on the White Sox every time they played it would be no fun. I enjoy watching both teams go at it. I enjoy watching Mark Buehrle smirk on the mound after getting Joe Mauer to ground into a 4-6-3. I enjoy hating the White Sox. Thank you south side of Chicago...it will be the only time you hear that from me.

For more on the Twins, Sam and I started our own little blog and we will be updating it often with video and words. Go here.

No comments: