Wednesday, April 22, 2009

You gotta be tough

I present you, "You gotta be tough": Challenges & Strategy of Female Coaches in Youth Sport...the running blog...

6:56 - Coming to you live from the HH Center for the Tucker Center for women presents...Michael A. Messner. Apparently he is a big deal.

6:57 - Just thought I would tell you that we are required to be here. Why? I don't know. Maybe it is to make the speaker feel better about himself. This place is packed and it is 70% students...

6:58 - Everyone who is anyone is here. I'm sitting behind the head of rec sports. I might ask for is autograph later.

7:02 - Late. Lets get this started, I have South Park to watch.

7:04 - Some over-achievers are getting scholarships right now. A park a recreation scholarship? You can get scholarships for that?

7:05 - "Miles has a passion for the outdoors", and it is apparent that he also has a passion for looking like an axe murderer.

7:08 - What is with women in sports and having two names? The introduction speaker's name is Mary Jo. Our head of Sport Management program is Jo Ann. Billie Jean, is not my lover.

7:10 - Joel Maturi makes an appearance. We got Tubby, We got Tubby.

7:13 - Messner has written 11 books, all about women coaching in sports. Seriously? That is what you devoted your life to?

7:15 - Yes, a powerpoint. Also we have our first fake laugh from the crowd of the night. I'm sure more are to follow.

7:16 - And I was right. Messner is owning the crowd tonight

7:20 - Three slides in and we have a scatter plot. I want to go home.

7:24 - I think he just used "pipeline"in a sentence five times. I lost count.

7:25 - I bet this girl next to me thinks that I am very weird.

7:32 - Just learned that women face scrutiny when coaching. Hmm, women know things about sports? What? Prove it.

7:34 - He just said undercutter. Reminds me of the Tom Green skit. I'm watching it in my head right now.

7:36 - haha, Tom just got chased by a guy with a hammer. Classic.

7:41 - There is NO inner circle. Messner said so.

7:44 - Just learned that women cry when they recall the experience of not being selected as a coach of their children. Man up!

7:48 - "Women do not like yelling in sports, that is why they don't coach"

7:50 - Quick scan of the auditorium... Six sleepers overall and countless other nodders. Very riveting stuff going on here.

7:51 The hot girl next to me just left so that has left me with no real reason to be here. Peace out...

No comments: