Saturday, April 11, 2009

What's My Age Again?


I am writing this while watching one of my favorite shows of all time and it hit me that the majority of my favorite shows are in fact, cartoons. Instead of gathering around the TV wondering how the passengers of Flight 815 will get off the damn island (only to return? what? I'm confused), I stop what I'm doing every Wednesday night for the new episode of South Park. Rather than watch Jim and Pam play the I like you, you like me, but I like someone else routine, I watch Master Shake get plastic surgery in Guatemala. I don't care who "wins" Idol during the week, I care about a robot that humps a washer. I think you are seeing a trend.

There is something that I enjoy about not having a story line. Every week its something different. Take South Park f0r example, this week it is was about a joke and making fun of Kanye West when the previous week it was about queefing (gross I know). Story lines bore me. They just drag on until they run out of ideas or until the characters get bored themselves. Everyone grew up watching cartoons but I guess I never "grew" out of this phase.

The only a few live action TV show that I really enjoy watching and Reno 911 is one of those shows. The show happens to not have story lines which does fit my checklist. It is just the deputies and their crazy antics with the locals. "What, I was just selling oranges..." The other show that is funny but am ashamed to say that I watch regularly is.....

I have a select few of cartoon characters that I like more then others but the best cartoon character(s) on TV are the Mooninites from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. These 2D badasses take no crap from anyone and are very good at getting meatwad to do their dirty deeds. Also something about the concept of a quad laser makes me laugh.

Say what you want, cartoons will always be adult friendly as they are created by adults. Most cartoons now have jokes or situations that adults find very amusing and children simply do not understand. I like to call it the Shrek Effect. Thanks.

No comments: